As much as the cinematography cherishes the sport as one of the most inspirational ideas, things are a little bit different in the world of TV series. It seems like the TV series concept rarely puts sports into the focus and produces less TV series on this subject. Even if one show is somehow linked to sports, it is usually a side story that follows some of the characters.
Yet, we can select some genuinely great TV masterpieces that can introduce you to the whole new world of sports. The following stories are about particular athletes, careers, and their lifestyle. They picture another, sometimes comic, but more exciting world. However, TV series sometimes can show us some more repulsive and cruel side of sports.
One thing is sure — by watching any TV series of this type, we can find out a lot of the sport in question and none of them will leave us without reaction.
Best Sports TV Series Ever
10. The League (2009–2015) — This is a hilarious comedy about the group of friends who are playing fantasy football league. Through a funny storyline, they constantly trap each other, but also share the most profound emotions and real friendship.
9. Coach (1989–1997) — An old-school comedy that follows the university coach who dedicated his life to football. Opposite to him, his partner is a family guy. Together, they make a perfect match.
8. Sports Nights (1998–2000) — TV series that present the unrevealed part of the story — the life of sports reporters behind the camera. It is a story about best friends and their cable sports programs.
7. GLOW (2017– In duration) — Glow is a refreshing and unique drama with comic elements that follow both the professional and personal life of the women’s wrestling organization members in LA during the ’80s.
6. The Game (2006–2015) — The story is more about personal lives and love relationships of the pro football players seen through the eyes of their girlfriends.
5. Eastbound & Down (2009–2013) — The professional footballer with a harsh nature returns to his hometown after a failed career and begins to teach physics at his former school.
4. Footballers’ Wives (2002–2006) — British TV series that details the scandalous life of the famous European football couples that is full of intrigues, deceptions, and rivalries.
3. The White Shadow (1978–1981) — Ken Reeves is a former NBA player who returns to his hometown and takes the job of a basketball coach in a mixed-race school. It is a touching story about the basketball, personal struggles, and the power of community.
2. Ballers (2015–2018 ) — The story about former and active football players, their lives and professional careers, with adorable Dwayne Jonson in the leading role.
1. Friday Night Lights (2006–2011) — It is a quite popular TV series about the small Texas community. It portrays people’s passion and love for football and their high-school team.